By Catherine Martin
Director of Public Affairs & Legislative Relations
Grossmont Union High School District
On Saturday, September 25, 2010, Grossmont High School will mark its 90th Anniversary with a celebration that includes a multi-class reunion and a community picnic in the quad. This will be an opportunity for the Grossmont community and its alumni to share their Grossmont High School memories and to see the wonderful changes taking place on campus.
Several past principals and honor graduates will be in attendance. Alumni are expected from across the United States, with one traveler arriving from as far away as South Korea.
The day will begin with the induction of the new members of Grossmont’s Hall of Honor: astronauts Ellen Ochoa, Rick Sturckow, beloved teacher and coach Jack Mashin, and GHS benefactor Colonel Ed Fletcher. This will be followed by the dedication of the Class of 1916 fountain. Then, the original school’s 1922 cornerstone will be opened. Later in the day, there will be an opportunity to learn more about Grossmont’s amazing history by visiting the Museum or the Library, the site of historical talks and presentations by the La Mesa, Lakeside, and Lemon Grove Historical Societies.
A few interesting news bits from Grossmont:
1. Grossmont is the only original high school from the early 20th century (in San Diego County) to still have the original school standing.
It was constructed over a two year period: 1920-22. During that time, Grossmont students attended the old Riverview campus in Lakeside.
2. Grossmont is the only school in the nation to have 3 astronauts as alumni
: Bill Anders, Ellen Ochoa, and Rick Sturckow. The last 2 are to be honored this year as Hall of Honor inductees.
3. Grossmont has an interesting story behind the Class of 1916 drinking fountain
. Here is the inscription on the plaque for the now decorative fountain:
The Class of 1916 donated a drinking fountain, made of granite from a local quarry and inscribed "Class of 1916", to the old El Cajon Valley Union High School. When Grossmont Union High School was established in 1920, the fountain was moved to the Riverview campus in Lakeside for two years. When the new Grossmont High School building was opened in 1922, the Class of 1916’s fountain was moved to the new school. For forty years, thousands of Grossmont students drank from the fountain. In 1960 the drinking fountain was buried near its original location as a senior prank. The granite base of the fountain was unearthed in 2008 and refashioned into a decorative fountain.
4. Grossmont High School has a Museum
, which contains amazing memorabilia documenting the 90 years of achievement of its students and staff. The Museum is open on Wednesdays during the school day. You may visit the web site: to access it, go to the Grossmont HS Home Page, http://grossmont.guhsd.net
. Then, pull down under School Information to the GHS Museum Listing.
5. Grossmont High School is currently being remodeled
with two new buildings already standing (science & P.E.), yet the campus will preserve two of the old buildings as a testament to its wonderful history: the 1922 original school site and the Old Gym, built in 1935 as a part of FDR's Work Progress Administration (WPA.) Grossmont treasures its old and its new history.